The Villa Esche grand piano
At the request of the lady of the house, Henry van de Velde incorporated the existing Blüthner grand piano into his design for the music salon at Villa Esche. This instrument is known to us from photographs, but is unfortunately now lost. During the restoration work from 1998 – 2001, the owner of Villa Esche, Grundstücks- und Gebäudewirtschafts-Gesellschaft, together with the Chemnitz-based piano restoration company, Pianohaus Hoffmann, and the Blüthner piano workshops in Leipzig, endeavoured to locate a suitable instrument for the music salon.
Today, a Blüthner grand piano once again completes the overall impression of the music salon designed by van de Velde. Our instrument dates back to 1903 and is visually identical to the original known from the historical photographs. Lavishly refurbished and restored by Pianohaus Hofmann, it can be heard regularly at concerts, events and marriage ceremonies in the central hall, ladies' sitting room and study.